Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A note on terminology

As I read more about vegetarianism and veganism, I've come to realize that the terminology that is generally used is not exactly correct.....

Vegetarian - someone who only eats plants, no meat, no dairy
Lacto vegetarian - Someone who eats plants and dairy
Ovo vegetarian - someone who eats plants and eggs
Lacto-ovo vegetarian - someone who eats plants, eggs and dairy (what most people call a "vegetarian"
Vegan - someone who avoids anything coming from animals like food, leather, bone, etc. Very strict vegans won't even eat honey! Most vegans, though, just avoid eating anything from animals.

In the strictest sense, I consider myself an almost vegetarian, not a vegan as I still wear leather, and will consider eating things from animals from time to time. I don't know that I'll ever been 100% strict as that's VERY hard in a small town like this - going out would be next to impossible.

But when I refer to myself, I'll still say I'm vegan as most people see vegan as someone who doesn't eat anything from animals.

No comments: